In2edu I.C.T. Resources Enhancing Education & Learning

Journey with MojoHelpdesk Cloudbased Desktop Support in a Primary School

Zoho Mobile
After some quick research through the various options available (see "References" below), I chose to review and test Mojo as it has a version with 3 agents (support staff) free. Up to this point we have been using a Google form but we needed something that worked a bit better in terms of statistics and use. It looks as though Mojo will suit a primary school with a 1:1 laptop and iPad programme. If we go beyond 3 agents (to paid version), it is probably not the cheapest for 4-6 agents, but beyond this could also have a better features for cost ratio than other options. Most others do not seem to have any more than one agent in free versions, and/or their free version has a lot less features. Having SSO (Single Sign On) and a mobile app version within the free features was also important to me as I want the software to be as easy to use and mobile as possible.

Setup and Customisation of the HelpDesk.

Went smoothly. Customisation of the queues types, adding of other agents and helpdesk ticket templates were very easy.

First test went smoothly with the system able to email groups of Agents as needed. Use on mobile was reasonable, responsive. Found the app logged me out on occasions, despite asking to stay logged in. See snaps for mobile look.

Updates and Further Feedback

Minus

  • Started using knowledge base. No hypermarkup features at all. Pasted links become hyperlinks. Can't use bullets etc. So would mostly make links to other help documents where videos etc may display.
Plus
  • Users can reply via email or online to a ticket.

Mojo Mobile Dashboard

References




Comments

Why Mac? Apple Ramble

“So, if you had 120 computers in your business, what tech support would you have?“ I asked. The sun was streaming down as I talked to a business acquaintance, while watching our boys playing tennis. It was nothing to do with sunstroke, but more like a thunderbolt (slightly poetic licence!), when I realised just how little work is involved in running 120 odd
macs, that range in age from 1-6 years old, over two operating systems (OS 9 and OS X) and a mix of portables and desktops. His answer, “I would need 1-2 full time technicians“. Off course, other questions immediately arise, like; “Is he purchasing the Windows systems from the same supplier on the same day (checking that they are using all the same specifications in terms of parts)“, is he using ghosting/ drive imaging software to make installation and troubleshooting easier?“ etc. However, I teach 70% of my time which leaves 30% to:
• help users (teachers and pupils in my school) who have invariably created some of their own problems or just need a helping hand to the next stage of their learning.
• cover technical issues
• administrate the network
and it was only just recently that we decided to bring in a part-time technician for 2-4 hours total, a couple of part-mornings a week.
When someone talks about Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) , I have realised over the last 5 years that this is very different in a Mac world compared to the windows world I had left to take up the ICT Facilitators position in the school. It still amazes me when after creating a disc image of the latest operating systems, I can then use one image apply it to all machines in the school, including some that are 6 years old and it just works. I use Carbon Copy Cloner and Netrestore (Apple) for these tasks and to restore a machine, or image a new machine, I hold down 'N' on powering a machine and away we go after choosing an image and popping in my password. Because of the smaller hard drives in some of the older machines I tend leave off the bigger applications like Garageband, but it is great to be able to get such a long life cycle out of this gear.
I also use Apples Remote Desktop 3 to carry out any post installation checking, machine specific installing, minor updates and spying on pupils (lol), still is fun to take control of their machine when they don't know. Remote Desktop is also great for sharing out a screen on a projector to share work in progress or new ideas, or if you don't have a projector to share screens with other pupils, which I had to do recently when the bulb in my projector blew.
So, with lower cost of maintenance TCO, but still able to carry out high level multimedia use (aka iMovie, Garageband) which is harder with a thin client system (lower again TCO), and a great range of software on board free with each machine, I reckon these Macs are great. Oh.. and less crashes, no virus problems (although we have had one incident of a Word macro virus, which can spread but not actually do anything else on a Mac), and no spyware problems on a operating system that just keeps working..
Comments
JavaScript Menu, DHTML Menu Powered By Milonic